Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Doing squishy things

I did something today that made me very nervous and put me WAY out of my comfort zone, and I'm very glad I did. I'm trying this new thing in my life where I do stuff out of the ordinary from me, both to broaden my horizons and to make me more comfortable with myself and how other people accept me.

They needed six volunteers to go "upstage" and read stuff but doing impersonations. Well one was George W. Bush, and I ended up getting that (volunteered for it actually). It was a blast! So much fun, I cracked a little joke at the beginning about Karl Rove and his nickname Turd Blossom. Then putting on a nervous little Texas accent I proceeded to be a bumbling Dubya, mispronouncing words, skipping some, and finishing off with a "God Bless Y'all and God Bless America". The best (I thought) was when I read "And BTA, the T of course stands for terror" got a real laugh out of the audience.

But I was shaking so hard! I was so nervous, but why? I'd spoken in front of people before, performed on the piano, etc. I LOVED the sound of people laughing at me, but not at ME, laughing at my jokes, laughing at my writing that I had come up with. I was so clever! This was powerful, a way to please people and to manipulate their feelings for a very brief time. It was fun in a twisted kind of way.

The next step? I want to do a routine for the variety show during BTR, maybe either a joke or a Victor Borge sketch that I've done before.

Have a great week anybody who's reading this.

No comments: