Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The girl on the train

The girl on the train

I finish my run for groceries and run down the stairs of the station, hurrying for I can hear the sound of a train and hope that it is approaching and not departing. Alas I am mistaken and will have to wait, but apparently so will the girl who is so engrossed in her book that she has also missed the train. I think the name of the book was “The Overachievers”, and suddenly I was very interested in it because she was also.

She is a pretty girl, but not in that revealing sort of show-lots-of-skin way. In fact, she looked like she has just gotten off work and is wearing a rather professional outfit. Without trying to be creepy and obnoxious, I catch a glance of her here and there as I pace back and forth waiting. She is tall, about my height and average weight. Short, straight, brown hair curling outwards at the tips rests atop her head, which is topped with large sunglasses. Around her neck lays one of those fake but simple pearl necklaces, not the gaudy sort, and yet it contributes greatly to her aura. Her big brown eyes complement her slightly dark skin and her lips are upturned at the corners in an ever so slight smile as she mouths the words of her book silently to herself while reading.

We get on the next train at the same car, and I sit next to her. “How’s your book?” I inquire. She replies with a wry smile showing her perfect white teeth, “Very interesting, do you like to read?” She has a slightly guilty look on her face as if she has just been caught posing, but her intriguing nature still pulls me in. Her voice has a hint of some South American accent, from where I can’t pinpoint. “I love to read, books stir my imagination,” I genuinely respond. From there, we continue with a witty, intelligent conversation and she is not bothered by my intrusion into her personal space for the ride home. For the fifteen minutes until my stop, we are both comfortable and chatty, and as I get off at my station she leaves me with a bewitching smile and her phone number. As the train pulls away with her on it and me left behind at the station, I take a deep breath and can’t help keep a big smile creep across my face. I walk home and my step is lighter than it has been in a while, all because of this alluring stranger I have just become acquainted with.

…and back to reality…

Actually, I didn’t say a thing to her. I didn’t catch a glance of her teeth, I don’t know what her voice sounded like, and I definitely didn’t get her phone number. For all I know, she could have been a total nutcase with really bad breath and a laugh that could get the rust of a car bumper. So the extent of my relationship with her was eight minutes of a train ride we shared and an occasional glance in her direction. It was fun to imagine though.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

OK you know that fucking stupid James Blunt song "Your Beautiful"? Well this sounds like it. It is a song of a made up obsessive love. I am not saying yours is obsessive (I hope)

As soon as you said the comment about the book, I'm thinking, "stirs my imagination"??? What Tzvi is that!!

For my story:
I keep finding out that guys in Israel are weirder and weirder. What am I going to do???