Sunday, January 06, 2008

I'm back?

Well I thought I'd make a post on the blog, its been way too long. Maybe somebody will read this :)

So I was watching the debates last night, and was actually pretty impressed with the Democratic candidates for the most part. I've been pretty cynical about the whole process for many reasons that leave me very frustrated, but last night there was a lot of talk about change. In fact, the word "change" was used a lot. And yet, I felt like this talk was genuine and passionate. I really hope I am right and that these candidates truly believe in the rhetoric that they are saying. Rhetoric about working to improve the environment, saving the middle class, useful health care, moving towards renewable energy, and many more. They've let me down before, I really want to believe that their intentions are good this time.

One thing that really stuck with me last night was the talk that Bill Richardson was making about "sacrifice". He said that its time that Americans start making sacrifices in their lives for the better good of the country and its people. We are such a consumer society where unnecessary wants have somehow become needs. Unfortunately this means that we use more and consume more than our economy and environment can support, yet we still demand all these things. What if Americans had a president that inspired them to use less gas? To use less electricity? To eat less meat? To donate more of their time and money to community service and charity? To sacrifice they comfortable lifestyles they have now? I would be inspired, and in my opinion many would be as well.

No comments: